Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We're selling our house. What taxes do we owe?

Taxpayers can exclude gains from the sale of your personal residence up to $250,000 ($500,000 married filing jointly) if all the following are true:
  • You meet the ownership test – owned the home for at least 2 years
  • You meet the use test - lived in the home as your main home for at least 2 years
  • During the 2-year period ending on the date of the sale, you did not exclude gain from the sale of another home.
Report the gain from the sale on line 8 of Schedule D (use Form 1099-S if you received one). Then on line 9 of Schedule D, write "Section 121 exclusion" in column (a) of that line and show the amount of the exclusion in column (f) as a loss in parentheses.
For more information please see IRS Publication 523, Selling Your Home (.pdf).

No comments:

Post a Comment