Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Still haven't received your W-2? Here's what to do

Employers have until January 31, 2011 to deliver your 2010 Form W-2. If you haven't received it, take these steps
  1. Contact your employer. Inquire if the W-2 has been mailed and confirm the address it was mailed to. Allow a reasonable amount of time to re-issue or re-send.
  2. Contact the IRS. Contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. Provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
    • Employer's name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
    • Dates of employment
    • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2010. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub.
  3. File your return You still must file your tax return or request an extension to file by April 18, even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you have not received your Form W-2 by April 18th, and have completed steps 1 and 2, you may attach Form 4852 to the return, estimating income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. You may be unable to e-file the tax return so be prepared to file your taxes using the old fashioned paper method. There may be a delay in any refund due while the information is verified.
  4. File an amended return If you receive the missing W-2 after you filed your return and the information is different, you will need to amend your tax return by filing a Form 1040X.
Under no option can you file a tax return without the W-2 - any and all income must be reported on Form 1040.

No comments:

Post a Comment