Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Where's My Refund?

Taxpayers can check the status of their tax refund 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, worldwide, with a web browser and a few pieces of information.
  • Navigate to and click the Where My Refund button,
  • Next enter the social security number of the primary taxpayer. This information can be pulled from the upper right corner of Form 1040.
  • Select the filing status from Boxes 1 through 5
  • Finally, enter the exact amount of your refund from line 74a of Form 1040.
Generally, if the taxpayer e-filed, the refund information will available 72 hours after the acknowledgment saying the IRS received the tax return – allow three to four weeks if filing a paper tax return.

If the taxpayer used Form 8888 Allocation of Refund to request direct deposit into separate accounts, confirmation is also available on the website. If the U.S. Postal Service returns the taxpayer’s refund to the IRS, the individual may be able to use "Where’s My Refund?" to change the address the IRS has on file.

For those with smartphones, the IRS2Go application allows you to get the status of your refund. Apple users can download the free IRS2Go application by visiting the Apple App Store. Android users can visit the Android Marketplace to download the free IRS2Go app.

Taxpayers can also call the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954 to check the status in either English or Spanish.

For e-filed tax returns, the following chart details the expected processing time - PDF version you can enlarge for a better view.

If you file a complete and accurate paper tax return, your refund will usually be issued within six to eight weeks from the date it is received.

Note: it may take additional days for the financial institution to post the refund to your account. If an incorrect routing or account number was entered, the IRS may have to issue a paper check for your refund. Taxpayer can request a status update by completing Form 3911 Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

If you made a move after you filed your return and you were expecting a refund via mail, you should file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Services and also send in a copy of Form 8822 Change of Address to the Internal Revenue Service.

If addition, taxpayers in Ohio can check the status of their Ohio refund online.

No comments:

Post a Comment